Monday, January 14, 2013

Utah, The new Alaska....

Okay, some may think that comment is a bit of an exaggeration, but in all seriousness it's SO NOT.
One of my nearest and dearest girlfriends lives in Alaska and their temperatures have been "quite pleasant." For a now acclimated Alaskan pleasant means like mid 40's.  
That's not my definition of pleasant, but right now with what we have been given I'll gladly take mid 40's.
Hell, I'd gladly take mid 30's.  
Without fail, for weeks now, one or more of my car doors have been frozen shut (more often all of the doors too).  And not just frozen shut in the morning... they are frozen shut within minutes of shutting the car off.  So you know that quick 10 minute grocery store stop... Yep, come back out to doors frozen shut.
It's just plain old miserably cold.
I can't handle the cold.
If you have crossed my path in the recent weeks you will know that my entire moods have shifted.  Mind you they have shift to a not so pleasant me, and to those who have been so unfortunate to cross my path... I truly am sorry. HA! You would think I would have smartened up by now and move on to an environment where I don't have to deal with the cold.  In all fairness however, it's not very often that we are dealing with sub-freezing temps for weeks on end here in Utah.  Granted we do get those few days of super cold temps, that quickly turn back around.  Normally we spend the winter in the mid 30's, NOT consistent single digits often turning to the negatives.  
It's just plain cruel.  
All of it.
Including the unwelcome amount of snow that is sitting in my yard.  That foot of snow that fell a couple weeks ago had yet to show signs of melting (okay, maybe it did a little) before we got this added 13-14 inches over the weekend.  What's even more unfortunate is that the kids are all so excited to see all the new white stuff, but it's too dang cold to even enjoy it for more than 5 minutes.  Who can make a decent snowman in 5 minutes?  Oh, and just so you know... My dear friend in Alaska (Anchorage to be exact) has had a WHOPPING total of 9 inches of snow this winter.  
Can you tell I'm just over it? 
Wanna know what sent me over the edge and on this rant about how gosh dang cold it is?
This morning we were frozen IN our house.  Yes, no lie.  Our doors were frozen shut.  Not just one of them... ALL of them.  Thankfully I have a strong husband that was able to strong arm those doors open.
Wanna know what else?  
Oh yeah, you know what else... I didn't get my garbage out to the road this morning either...
Why you ask?
My gate is frozen shut too!

I swear to you all, mark my word, if I hear the word drought spoken this summer here in Utah I WILL spit nails.  In NO WAY should those words be thought let alone spoken this year.  

I'm seriously considering a vacation to some place warmer...
Maybe Alaska?
Or maybe even to Western New York to see my family?
It is after all in the 60's there.  

Okay, rant over.
Until next time anyway...

No comments: