Thursday, January 3, 2013

The start of a new year brings with it the start of some new traditions...

If you missed my post about resolutions...
Because you will see that these new traditions ARE NOT resolutions.  They are simply my first steps at attempting to achieve some of my goals. 
Goals 4 and 15 to be exact.

I really need to get better with this blogging thing.  I know I've said that a million times over, but I swear I mean it whole heartily every time I have said it.  I don't need to get better at it because I think I have a ton of readers or because I think that the potential for a ton of readers is even there, but rather for myself and my family.  Blogging is a great way of documenting life.  It is so easy to just bypass life's little moments without a second thought, which then results in forgotten memories all together.  In light of all the loss that last year brought to our family (you can read about that here if you missed that post too) I have come to realize that I am SO GUILTY of allowing those special moments and memories pass me by without properly embedding them in my mind.  I don't want to allow any more of those moments pass me by, I don't want to forget another moment of the life I have have been so graciously given, nor do I want my children to even have to forget.  It is my job as their parent to ensure that they have beautiful moments worth remembering and that they have the proper documentation to share those memories with their children and children's children.  

I'm not good at scrap-booking.  I've tried and failed miserably.  Not only that, but it is just a far too tedious way of documenting for my personality.  I don't do well with time consuming, and scrap-booking is EXACTLY that.  
Though it is a great way of beautifully documenting life, It's just not the way for me.  Believe me, sometimes I wish it was because the things you can do with scrap-booking these days is AMAZING.  Don't get me wrong, I do want to have some hard copies of pictures, in books, that we can pull out anytime we want, but I those just need to be quick and easy.  There is a way of doing that now with instagram and all the cool photo printing options that are available now.  I just haven't decided exactly what I want to do quite yet.  

I do love writing.  It is has always been an area of great interest and enjoyment for me.  From a young age I got a high out of writing and the ability to be creative with it.  I may not be all that good at it, but I sure do love it.  This is why blogging has such importance to me.  I feel that I am more capable of painting a good picture of those beautiful moments through writing than I am through scrap-booking. Some may think that writing is a far more time consuming way of documenting than scrap-booking, but believe me if you have ever spent a day with me attempting to be a creative, original, fun, and impressive scrap-booker then you'll know that it's not my forte. I'm not horrible at it, but it literally takes me like 8 hours to create like 4 pages.  I just don't have that kind of time.  HA!

Not sure how this post turned into a whole book on trying to justify why I want to get better at blogging, but I'll get back on track now.

This post touches on two goals.
Documenting/Blogging and recording more home videos.  This also kind of touches a bit on my desire to create some form of memory books as well.  This year I decided that I wanted to start recording my kids at the beginning of each new year.  Interview style.  Me behind the camera asking them questions.  Things about themselves that are likely to change throughout the years.  Questions that will highlight their personalities at that particular time.  After recording that first video I decided it would be a good idea to add a few pictures to the video that highlight some important moments of the past year.  Granted there isn't the ability to tell the story behind every picture, but at the very least you can see the changes that occur in them over those 12 months.  These videos can then be shared via social networking with family and friends and can also be put on DVD and slipped inside a memory book for myself and the kids to enjoy for years to come.  

Please forgive me for the poor quality of these videos.  First off my camera really isn't made for video making and secondly it's my first attempt at ever using video editing software.  Maybe I ought to add a video making/editing class to my 2013 Goals?  

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you
"Remembering 2012~Brenna and Sam"
(warning: they are kind of lengthy, sorry)






No comments: