Thursday, October 18, 2012

Life as I Remember It: My Wedding Ring

Jumping ahead quite a bit in my life I know, but this is a story that recently became fresh in my mind as one of the ladies I work with had quite the traumatic moment regarding her wedding ring this week in class.  This event made me recall the story of my ring and just how heartbroken I truly would be if anything bad happened to it.  Yes I know that everyone out there has a special bond with the ring that symbolizes the vows made on that special day to the one you love, BUT mine has a greater meaning to me and Bill than just what it represents.  Let me tell you why...

Bill was fresh home from war when we (really I gave him an ultimatum, I had waited a year for him after all... the least he could do is marry me) decided to plan a quick wedding.  We had already committed to purchasing a home together so really getting married was only appropriate (in my mind anyway).  Due to our quick decision (and my demanding ways) to marry, I didn't get a proposal.  I was okay with that.  As a result to not getting a proposal, Bill decided that I would not see my ring until we said our I Do's.  I was okay with that too.  Bill and I were married within 5 weeks of his return so the wedding itself was very small.  Talk about those 5 weeks will have to wait for another post... Back to the ring story.

Bill and his Dad headed off to the Mall one afternoon (I want to say within the first week Bill was home) to scope out rings.  Bill had a general idea of the style of ring I wanted, but also had some ideas in mind that he liked himself.  He was very particular in what he was looking for really because he wanted to find something that incorporated both of our ideas.  I'm not certain where all they looked, or how long they looked for I just know that he found what he was looking for.  As he and his dad sat discussing rings, of course the topic of "how are you going to propose" came up.  Bill's response was I'm not.  He told the ladies in the jewelry store that he had just returned from overseas and that how our marriage plans came to be.  That conversation then led to one about war, his experiences, and of course their appreciation for his sacrifices for our freedoms.  All the while there was an older gentleman in the store along with Bill and his Dad that was discussing watch repairs with one of the other workers.  This store is quite small and everyone's conversations with one another really are easily overheard.  Conversations of military and war relations continued throughout the entire purchasing process.  Bill completed the basic paperwork and put a down payment down on my ring.  In an attempt to surprise, but opted to only put a down payment down rather than making the complete purchase to ensure that the element of surprise with me still existed (we did share a bank account after all and he didn't want me to know quite yet what the cost was going to be).  Once the sale was completed Bill and his Dad walked down to the little coffee joint that sat next to the Nordstrom's entrance at the time, grabbed a coffee, and sat to talk awhile.  After having sat there chatting for about 15 minutes Bill's phone rang.  The call came in from the jewelry store and the sales lady was crying.  She explained to Bill that he needed to come back to the store to complete the final purchase work on the ring.  Confused, Bill complied and headed back to the the jewelry store.  Upon arrival, he noticed that all the ladies in the store were in tears.  They told Bill that they needed to finalize all the paperwork because someone had paid off the remaining balance on my ring.  As it turns out, this someone was that gentleman who was having his watch repaired.  He overheard Bill's conversation of war and how he had just returned.  He overheard our story and the difficulties that war brought to our life and how Bill's time away brought us to the realization that marriage was our next step.  This gentleman asked the jewelry store to keep his name anonymous as he wasn't giving us this gift as a way to be in the spotlight.  He just wanted to offer a simple Thank You to Bill for his service for our country.  This gentleman explained to these ladies that he too had gone to war, Vietnam, and no one ever thanked him for his sacrifices and he wanted to make sure that Bill knew that there was at least one person out there grateful for him putting his life on the line for our freedoms.  He wanted to make sure that I knew that there was someone out there thankful for being the person worrying from home as the love of my life was thousands of miles away in harms way every single day. 

Soon after leaving the jewelry store Bill called me and told me about what happened.  I cried and he cried.  I can't even begin to describe how much a simple thank you means to Bill when he gets them, but this act of gratitude was far more than we had ever anticipated.  There are no words to describe how thankful we are for this man and the kindness he showed us.  I know that those who came home from Vietnam weren't as fortunate to be offered even a handshake as a thank you for what they went through.  If I could, I would wrap my arms around this man and thank him for his sacrifices as well, and thank him for giving us the most wonderful and memorable thank you of our lives.

I proudly wear my ring, my symbol of the vows made on my wedding, and the constant reminder of one man's appreciation for my husbands sacrifices.  My ring holds great meaning for Bill and I... It symbolizes far more than what most wedding rings symbolize.  I am grateful for it and look forward to passing this story and my ring onto my children.