Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Our little Karate Kid...

I am SO behind on my blogging.  So far behind that I have actually had a bit of anxiety about it.  Crazy I know for something that I do because I love to do it, not because I have to do it.  Really though, even though I love to blog when I get behind I feel like I am losing the moment in it's entirety.  I'm sure all bloggers understand this RIGHT???

It's no secret by now that Sam is in Karate.  He's been going to Karate for about 3 Months (give or take) now and was able to participate in his first belt test.  I have not sat and watched him in class because I know my being there would be more of a distraction than he needs so I have opted to stay away during class time.  He tells me frequently about breaking wood with his hands and weapon practice, but unfortunately I still can't attest to this even after his testing.  Those areas weren't anything he was tested on.  Darn! 



Anyway,  his testing took place on Oct. 27th.  We had to go to new territory so this set the anxiety in for Sam.  He was out of his element and nervous to be testing in front of someone he hasn't ever seen, in a place he had never stepped foot in.  The place was SUPER small and OVERLY crowded.  I'm hoping that not all tests take place there because it was quite stuffy, even I was feeling claustrophobic.  Totally unlike me.  Those who know Bill can only begin to imagine how he was feeling in such closed quarters, not good.  The temperature in that place is a whole other topic... you can only begin to imagine the heat in a room packed with excited parents and nervous students.  BRUTAL!  Not to mention the sweaty smell that quickly consumed the tiny room.  Ugh. 




Okay, okay back to the Karate...
I'm still so unfamiliar with this Karate stuff, but I do know that he was tested on several different 'techniques' (for lack of a better word).  The Master went through a whole series of different blocks, punches, kicks... A language I just don't understand.  Poor Sam was holding back so much.  He was so small standing there in that room... I wasn't 100% of how well he was doing either because it was such unfamiliar territory for me.  One thing he was though is CUTE!  I loved watching him do his thing.  Whether he was doing it  right or wrong he made it worth watching.  


Yes, he had gum in his mouth and NO, it's not allowed in the Dojo...
Oops.  Lesson learned.  The Master let him know and made him spit it out eventually.  



All in all he did well.  He earned his yellow belt and was so proud of himself.  We are proud of him too.  I hope in the future I can learn more about Karate and understand what it is that he is working so hard to achieve.  He loves it and I will love it because he does.  However, I do think I need to watch Karate Kid a time or two to understand it all.  LOL


After he tested, we took him out for lunch at our favorite ice cream joint... Leatherby's.  Can't get any better than that can it?  

Oh, and know what else is cool???
Sam even got his name embroidered on his new yellow belt. 
Guess what name he chose.....

None other than SAM I AM!  
Such a good sport that kid.  


No comments: