Monday, April 15, 2013

2013 Baseball Season Begins....

Baseball season is now in full swing.  Last year I made the mistake of not watching for registration information in January. I didn't anticipate that baseball registration would happen beginning of February when it doesn't start until April.  My bad.  Sam ended up having to play rec center t-ball last year, which was okay.  He liked it, which is what mattered.  
You can read a bit more about that HERE and HERE.
It was fun to watch him learn some of the basics of baseball and improve upon his hitting/catching.  

I grew up watching my baby brothers play baseball for a league and I can honestly say those are some of my favorite memories of them.  There is just something about little league baseball that gets my adrenaline going.  I love it.  I love the smell of the snack bar hot dogs grilling in the distance and indulging in far too many sunflower seeds.  I love the eruptions of cheer when a good play is made and I love to watch those huff and puff moments when a bad call is made.  I was totally consumed when my brother's played baseball.  I may have even been one of those individuals who allowed a bad call get the best of me...
Lets face it, it's simply hard to not get emotionally riled up while watching this game.  
I hate to say this, but rec center ball just didn't do it for me.  The feeling wasn't the same.  Maybe it's something to do with the fact you are playing in a large, open, grassy field among several other games at the same time.  There were no bleachers, snack bar, dirt... You have to have the dirt.
A slide into home just isn't the same without that red dirt.  
This year I made certain that I didn't miss league ball registration.  
I couldn't wait to have that ball park feel again.  
It's been so long since my brother's played I didn't realize until I was there, opening ceremonies, this year just how baseball deprived I have been.  It was a cold morning... bitter wind, uncomfortable... but I didn't care.  I was there, soaking in every single moment. 
I'm so excited to finally be able to watch my own boy play.  I'm so excited to sink my teeth into another ball park hot dog.  I'm so excited to spend my evenings soaking in too much sun while my boy plays a game that we both love.  
I'M JUST SO EXCITED! 

This year Sam plays for the NY Mets.
Sam's first game was on the 6th of April.  
We had to be to the park early for pictures, which were immediately followed by opening ceremonies, which was immediately followed by his first game of the season.  



This game isn't serious for him yet.  He is still just expected to learn the basics... and the ultimate goals this year are that these kids learn to hit the ball without a tee, run the bases in the right direction, and learn to get in front of the ball while in the outfield.  I was so proud watching these little boys and girls in their first game.  They all hit without the tee, they all ran in the right direction, AND they all did pretty well making some plays.  Every time a ball was picked up in the outfield... they always threw it to first base in an attempt to get that runner out.  Granted there is no score keeping at this age and everyone gets a turn at bat each inning, but these boys and girls get it.  They did so well.  








Sam got a couple really good hits in too.  He did really well in the outfield.  He didn't run clear across the field to try to get to a ball before a team mate.  He was content waiting for the balls to come in his direction before he went after them.  






Game two happened that following Thursday and they did just as well as the first.  In game two our team even made a play that would have resulted in the first baseman getting the runner out had we been keeping score.  It was great.  I was all smiles.  

I can't wait for this season to continue and for our days to become a little warmer.  The heat of the sun will be the icing on the cake to a wonderful first year of League Baseball.  
GO METS!


1 comment:

honestly bitter said...

Glad we get to be a part of it. I live for baseball season! --Jason Warner