Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sam's 1st Baseball Game

This morning we woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed for Sam's first ever baseball game.  He is playing for the rec center because mom dropped the ball and failed to register him for league baseball on time.  In my defense though, I had no idea league ball registration would be at the BEGINNING of February...  I thought that when I started looking to register him at the beginning of March I would be ahead of the game.  Boy was I wrong!  

Anyway, this rec center thing is good for him this year I think.  They don't actually play a competitive game.  Each kids gets to bat twice each inning and they all get to run all the bases.  The kids in field practice catching, throwing to first, then back to home plate.  Neither team wins or looses... they all just get high fives and good jobs the whole game through.  It's good for them.  They are basically learning the basics of the game.  This will be good for when I put Sam in league ball next year.  

Sam got to bat first this game AND he got to play first base first.  Such a little stud he is.
The team was a bit all over the place, but I have high hopes for them to get better. Sam's first time at bat he was a bit confused where to run exactly, but after making it to first (once he did this back and forth running thing for a few seconds) he seemed to catch on pretty quickly.  As did the others.  Only 3 kids showed up to their first practice so it made the first game a bit difficult.  Where the other team was very organized and knew what they were doing.

I jumped in and helped right from the get go.  Bill wasn't there yet and our poor coach was trying to do it all alone.  So I jumped in and put the kids in their first batting line up and explained to them how the whole batter box/circle thing worked.  I helped them get their helmets on and sent them off when it was their turn at bat.  Once our team got to the field I stood behind Sam on first base and explained to him why it is important to watch the ball and how to tag up on his base before throwing back to home.  I was glad when Bill showed up and could jump in.  Then I got to just stick to helping the kids with their batting line up.  Next game I will be sure to take a small note pad so I can have the line up written down rather than having to try to remember names and faces upon the first time meeting.

It was so much fun to watch.  I especially liked how all the kids (on our team) ran after the ball that was hit and practically wrestled for it.  Sam won those battles quite a few times.  I really look forward to watching him this short little season.  They play every Tuesday and Saturday for the next 4 or 5 weeks, with Wednesday practices.  We will be busy, but it is well worth it.
I can't wait for league ball next year.  I have some fond memories watching my brothers play and I look forward to those same memories with my own son.

Waiting for the game to start

Coach explained to the kids what a dugout is  (ours was painted on the grass) and what the batters circle is

First up at bat!

Confused about where to run...

With a little help from coach, he makes it to first


Off to second base


And now at third


This time he made it to first all by himself


Into home!

First Baseman

Paying close attention to what is going on




Now he is by the pitchers mound... ready to catch some balls.


Throwing to first



It's a race







So funny to watch them fight for the ball.


This was his "Mom, when are we done?  I'm bored" moment.

Back at first, this time Daddy is there to help him out.



No comments: