Monday, August 25, 2008

A mosquito bite allergy...

Update on Brenna... we went to the doc yesterday afternoon and she is on the recovery side now. She is doing good and the swelling is going down. As of yesterday afternoon she was free of infection except just under the actual bite. She is happy as can be!







Well, we found out last Sept. that Brenna was allergic to mosquito bites when she got her first bite ever on her face and she blew up like a balloon and ended up in the hospital with IV anti-biotics. The bite quickly became infected and she ended up with Cellulitis surrounding her eye. I guess that is pretty dangerous because the infection can easily go to the optic nerve straight to the brain. Well, Saturday evening, she got her second bite ever... guess where.... Yep her face AGAIN! The opposite side this time... the mosquito was actually pulled off her face and I quickly washed it and did what I could. Well, her face blew up like a balloon yet again... first thing in the morning I took her to the urgent care clinic... he gave her an antibiotic and also and antibiotic ointment in hopes it would kick in quickly and stop the swelling and infection from spreading... well within 6 hours her swelling had doubled and the infection had spread a lot. So, I had to take her back to the clinic to get an antibiotic shot... but when we got there he sent us up to the hospital for IV antibiotics. So we went up there and I was really pushing them to not admit her... so they did what they could last night in the ER... gave her two doses of antibiotic through the IV and also a steroid and some benadryl. We got home about 2:30am... and we have to go back at 2 this afternoon. I just hope it starts to improve before our trip in this afternoon... I would hate to have her have to get poked again. She was such a trooper this time. She was super Brave and I am so proud of her. She woke up this morning and her eye looks worse than last night, but they said the antibiotic should kick in by this afternoon... heres to hoping. They say this is what we are going to have to deal with when she gets bites by those pesky little bugs... How do we avoid mosquito's????

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Frist of all...BRAVE little girl! I'm so sorry you have to go through this everytime she gets bit! When we lived next door, I got bit all the time remember? Couldn't even step out at night without getting bit several times. Something about that neighborhood I guess! So...I have heard rubbing her with a dryer sheet may help. There are tons of over the counter sprays and lotions. Sportsmans Warehouse has a good supply of them too. Burn citronella candles when you know you're going to be outside. Hmmmm...or move up here by us! Hope your afternoon report is a good one and she's on the road to quick recovery.

Lewis Family said...

Poor baby!

The Circus said...

oh man. an allergy to mosquitos of all things! better invest in some good bug lotion for her face! how's she doing now?

hagostinelli said...

I was just searching for information on mosquito bite allergies when I saw the picture of your daughter. Just wondering if your daughter experienced any fever with her mosquito bites. It seems my daughter may be allergic as well - she swells (just with some bites) and gets a fever (usually about once or twice a summer). I'm just trying to get a little more information before I bring it up with her doc. Thanks!