Friday, October 17, 2008

Binki Free!!!!

A couple nights ago, we all sat down for dinner. Of course Sam had his binki in his mouth as usual. The thing rarely left his mouth, unless he eventually got hungy or thirsty enough to part with it long enough to satisfy his need. Well, as we sat there and I was dishing up the kids, Bill's dad said to Sam... "Gimmie that binki!" Bill's dad is always trying to get him to give it up... of course he
NEVER does. So, I put his plate in front of him, and took the binki... he panics when I do this, constantly looking for it, making sure it is still within his eye contact. As he was busy eating I decided I was done "working" around his binki. So I cut the nipple off, and handed it back to him. He quickly realized something wasn't right... it wouldn't stay in his mouth... It examined it over and over. Made several attempts to put it back in his mouth. When finally he gave up on trying to keep it in his mouth. He decided carrying it would be sufficent for now. In the bath they went, along with "broken binki". Jammie's on, and down for bed. OHHHH BOY! What did I get myself into! Imediately he started crying for the "mimi." I couldn't give in, as much as I wanted to... I knew I couldn't... after the first hour went by of him SCREAMING... he finally fell asleep. For about 15 minutes anyway... then the screaming started again. I got on the computer, and searched for a better way to break the binki habit. Everything was just too age advanced for him, things he wouldn't understand. One statement stood out to me as i read amongst his continuous scream "Whatever you choose to use that suits you and your child best, you have to stick to it, DON'T GIVE IN!" It was then that I knew, I couldn't go give him one as much as I wanted to... it had already been 2 hours of screaming... and by giving in now all I would be doing is hurting him, and myself because eventually we would have to try again. That would be just plain torture for the both of us. At about 10:30 (2 and a half hours later) the crying stopped just long enough for me to get to bed and fall asleep... then 12am... he started again. That one went till about quarter after 1am. Then that was the last peep I heard from him the rest of the night. Next morning, bright and early he started asking for his "mimi" again. So I handed him the broken one and said... "It's broken, remember" He held on to it for a little while, then tossed it on the ground and went about his day. Nap time came a little earlier that day, he was quite tired from his night of screaming. He went down for his nap, yet another tantrum... this one lasted only about a half hour. Then he got a good 2 hour nap in. Woke up, happy and refreshed... went about his day... without a worry of the binki. That night came, believe me I was dreading it. I put him down, and he said "my mimi" I again reminded him it was broken, kissed him and walked away.... guess what... not a peep out of him the WHOLE night and he hasn't asked for it since! Last night was his 3rd night without it... So glad it is GONE! Now we can enjoy his cute smile more often!

2 comments:

Lewis Family said...

Good Girl, Jess! That can be a rough one, especially when they're that attached. You did well though and I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. Good job to you too, Sam!

Renee said...

Jessie! I have to admit that I did not recognize your picture when it showed up on your comments in my blog. I was mildly creeped out to see that you followed both mine and Bri's blogs and I didn't know who you were. I was getting to be a bit concerned until I saw your blog page and saw the link to "Aunt Barb" and then I went to your blog and saw your kids and realized who you were! I feel so stupid for not recognizing you! Anyway....have a good day.
Renee Faulring