Friday, December 12, 2008

The Gift of Giving...

I have been talking with Sam and Brenna about all the kids that will be going without a christmas this year. I know Sam doesn't understand yet, but Brenna has been VERY Concerned for all these kids. I explained to them that they BOTH have way too many toys and they don't play with most of them anymore and that we should go through all of them and give them to a family that can't afford to buy Christmas. Brenna has been so excited to do this, and I am so proud of her. Today we went through all of Sam's stuff and we posted it on KSL for free today. In 45 minutes I got over 30 emails, and 5 or 6 phone calls. The first family to call I told them I would hold the toys for them for the day and then offer them to the next if they didn't show. Just reading through these emails as the came made me just sob. I know times are tough, and there are many out there struggling, but I never expected to have that many responses. Then I had to contact each of them back and tell them that they toys had been claimed litterally in the first 3 minutes of posting the add. And it just broke my heart. I wish I could have been of help to all of the families. As I was responding to those who were contacting me, I had a quiet little knock at the door... there stood two boys about 6 and 8 dressed in clothes too small, torn and shaggy and a cute little mom, belly stretched as far as it could, clothes worn and tattered. They came in to get the toys, and as they left she turned to me and said, "I have six kids, and number seven on the way... Thank you for giving us Christmas." I shut the door and just lost it! I just wanted to post this and tell everyone in my family how much I love them... and how fortunate I know we all are. There are sooooo many people out there going without christmas this year, if you have anything to spare, even used toys... I encourage you to do the same. I know this is the season of giving, but I have never given to anyone outside my family and I have to say... I think for the first time I am feeling the true meaning of these holidays. I am so glad that I was able to do this and also teach my children the importance of the season as well.

Happy Holidays!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Jess, that is such a neat idea. I am going to do that now too. You're a sweety. Happy holidays.

Jaime said...

Oh Lordy! You have me balling at work

Justin and Tasha said...

Ok ...so hand me a tissue !!! I litlerly have tears running down my face ! That is a very good Idea ! My child is so spoiled and I always say no more toys, But that never happens ! I will forsure keep this in mind !!!

Lewis Family said...

What a great lesson to teach, and at the age they are at, it should stick! Love you guys, and happy holidays!

Jen said...

What a good idea! Nate and I were just talking about what to do with toys that are not used much. We are having a tiny x-mas this year but some are having none. we should all do what we can to help.