Monday, November 3, 2008

My medical case!



So on Saturday night we were invited to a friend of Bill's, whom we haven't seen in awhile. There were several of the couples there with there kids, they were having so much fun just running around, playing barbie, and riding the pouncing/rocking horse! Brenna is such a pasive kid when in groups... she is really quiet, just kinda go with the flow kind of girl. She was riding then horse and Lexi (one of her little friends) had seen the older boys lifting up the horse and tiping it so whoever was on it would fall off. Well, Lex decided to try it, being that the boys were having so much fun doing it to eachother... but Brenna fell off, and started to scream. Poor Lex felt really bad, and said I thought she could hold on. After taking a look at Brenna's arm, and also considering the time (11pm) Bill and I had decided we didn't think it was broken because there weren't any signs of swelling at that point, and thought she may have a sprain. So I gave her tylenol, and decided to leave.



She fell right to sleep, comfirming in my eyes that it really couldn't be broken otherwise she wouldn't gone to sleep. I figured if it still hurt by morning I would take her in. Well, BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! She woke up about 2 1/2 hours later just SCREAMING!!! Everytime she would move it made the crying worse and soon she began to shake it was hurting so bad. I felt like CRAP~ I brought her in my bed to lay down and propped it up... it worked for about an hour then the crying started again, by then she could have more tylenol... so we gave her some, and I pulled out an ace bandage and wrapped her arm completely straight. She seemed to help a LOT. She fell back to sleep, only to awake 3 or 4 more times just briefly cause she was uncomfortable. Well of course first thing that morning I called in to the urgent care clinic and asked if it was better for me to just go to the hospital or if they were equipt for handling such things. They said to just bring her there... so I did and after about an hour and a few x-rays... the doc came back and said she had a compression fracture in her wrist, and that by the way she was favoring her elbow he wants to wait and get a second opinion from the radiologist on that before he put the cast on. So he sent her home in a splint and sling for now until Wednesday and then we will find out how big a cast she is going to get. She is feeling much better, now, which the doc said she would once her arm was stablized and unable to move. She has only needed tylenol once since the splint was put in place. So we will be sure to post some pics of the cast when she gets it... until then, the challenge is keeping her from bumping it or falling on it. She seems to think she is invincable!

2 comments:

Justin and Tasha said...

Oh man that sucks ! I hope she gets better soon !!! Atleast she has a smile on her face !

Anonymous said...

Oh Poor Brenna!! I bet she will think it's pretty cool to have a cast. at least for the first day!!! ;)