Friday, June 15, 2012

Swimming 2012

Sam just wrapped up his first week of swim lessons and he is doing AMAZING!


I don't ever remember taking swim lessons as a kid
(though this doesn't mean it didn't happen)
so I never really felt it important for my own kids.

ATTN:  I have since been corrected by my beautiful mother "You all took swimming lessons Jess.  Yup You Did!"
(Her exact words)


One day I was sitting there watching my daughter at the pool and was baffled by just how much like me she is.  She was wading in the water at the pool being very cautious of every move she made.  Trying her very best to stay clear of splashing water and when she did get hit in the face with a good splash you could just see the anxiety overwhelm her as she tried to very quickly wipe the water from her face...
She is JUST like her Mother!

When I met my husband it was a big joke of how legitimately TERRIFIED I was of water.  I even panicked when I had to wash my face in the shower.  I hated water than much.
Now here my Brenna was with the very same fear.
I know first hand just how horrible that anxiety is and just how much panic is felt by not trusting being in water... regardless how deep it was.  I don't want my kids to feel that.
This is when I KNEW I had to do something to help relieve this anxiety for Brenna and ensure that Sam never had to experience it. 
I felt Swim Lessons were the best solution!

Brenna is still in school (damn year round) so unfortunately she couldn't participate in the first two sessions of swim lessons.  She can't start until after the 4th of July holiday. 
(Sad face)
Sam however could so I decided to let him start without her.  He doesn't have this same fear as Brenna so I feel it is good that he given the time to progress without the added competition of his sister.  Brenna is very insecure that Sam is better at swimming than she is so I am hoping that Sam will advance to the next stage before she starts allowing them to both have their own space and goals to work toward.  
Their competitiveness is probably the greatest challenge I face as a parent to children so close in age.  I hope that by them participating in the same activity, but allowing them to both work at their own pace will show them that it is okay if one learns a bit faster than the other.  In the end they can both achieve the same goal without the need to compete with one another.  

Anyway, Sam has been doing very well.  He is far more advanced in the water that the other kids in his level.  This is shocking to me simply because I am not a swimmer and haven't really taken the time to work with either of my kids on swimming technique.  Sam is just a "natural born fish" as his instructors would say.  He is actually swimming under water for a short period of time, floating on his back, and picking up on some of the strokes.  The kids in the next level up are so much bigger than he is and it is weird to think that he is so close to advancing up to the level they are at.  In order to advance they have to be able to push off the wall, swim a short distance, and then keep themselves afloat in waters that they can't touch the ground.  Sam is seriously almost there.
He has three more weeks of swim lessons before Brenna starts.  I really think that he will move up and my plan of no competition will work out.  





No comments: