Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Father Is...

I know I should have posted this a few days ago, but to be honest I was having way too much fun enjoying my kids and family to take a time out to blog.


A Father is...
A rock.
The solid foundation in which carries the strength of his family.
He is the safest embrace and sternest of hands.
He is a hard worker and provider.
He is wise.




In my life, my father has been just that.  A rock, my safety, my disciplinarian who taught by example what respect is. 
Respect for others and Respect for myself. 
He has always worked hard, and loved his children with such depth and unconditionally.
He is always there to offer a shoulder to cry on and wisdom to help me through the toughest of times. 
(even if at times I don't want to hear what he has to say)
He is one of my very best friends and I am so grateful to call him MY DAD.  




I am fortunate to have found a husband that does just the same for his own children.  Bill is an amazing father and has really impressed me with how much love he has for his family.  I see the same bond developing between him and our children as I have with my father and I am so grateful for the opportunity to sit back and watch them bond.  

This Father's Day was a bit different for me.  Bill took off with his dad to a Bike Rally out in Elko for a little bonding time of their own, which left the kids and I home to entertain ourselves.
After the heart attack event at the beginning of the month I had a new appreciation for what this day represents.  Not only is a day meant to celebrate all the father's in the world, it is also a day that they should be allowed to do whatever it is their hearts desire.  Bill wanted this time spent with his dad, and I was okay with that.  My dad wanted some time alone, to relax, rest, and just be.  I respected that as well.  He deserved to just be after the month he has had.  The kids and I just hung out all weekend.  We went and saw a movie with Grandma T. (blog to come about that), went to a birthday party for my nephew, spent a little time with my mom, and then had some good quality time at home.  




The kids and I made Bill a candy bar bouquet for fathers day while he was gone.  Bill came home Sunday afternoon and we just laid low for most of the day. The kids were so excited to give his gift to him, he barely made it through the door before they were handing over the goodies.  We did go out to dinner because none of us were in the mood for lasagna as I had planned to make.  Summer dinners are hard to plan... It's just too hot to cook. After dinner we stopped by my dads for a short, but sweet, visit.  We sat on his porch and talked while the kids played a hilarious game of hide-and-seek.  Everyone should really have the opportunity to watch my kids play this game.  They really SUCK at it, which makes it quite entertaining.  

Happy Father's Day to all you amazing father's out there! 
And thank you for being the Rock we all need in our lives!

No comments: