Sunday, May 27, 2012

Life As I Remember It: I was Born

My second post of my blog series: Recap of the day I was born.

Friday, May 13, 1983
Started off as an average morning in May for Mom and Dad.
Dad headed off to work, and Mom headed off to Grandma and Grandpa's with big sister Jaime for some much needed R&;R after a long night of false labor the night before (where they gave her a shot of morphine and sent her home).
My pleasantly medicated mother (remaining from the night before of course) slept the day away on the couch while Grandma and Jaime went about their day.
Small contractions presented themselves again that morning, but though Mom noticed, she was able to sleep through them.
She slept so well, that she in fact (as mentioned before) she literally slept the day way...

Suddenly,
Mom jumps up from her sleep at
A Quarter to 3pm
(For those time challenged, that's 2:45pm HA!)
and insisted she was going into labor...
Grandma had just put big sister Jaime down for a nap and was enjoying her afternoon soap operas.
There was only 15 minutes left of her show, "Can you wait 15 minutes Kath? The show is almost over and I just laid Jaime down for a nap."
Labor could wait right? 
HA!
Mom insisted she was going to wait in the car because I was coming, regardless how close the show was to being over.
Grandma decided she had better listen...
Grandma woke Jaime from her nap and quickly loaded her up in the car where mom was waiting.
Good thing the hospital was close...

When they arrived at the hospital, the nurses wheeled in a wheel-chair for mom to sit in and take her to a room.  Mom refused, I was crowning. She couldn't possibly SIT!  Poor mom waddled her way through the hospital where they finally found a stretcher for mom to lay on in a crowded hallway.
(All the while Grandma was downstairs checking mom in and making the call to Dad to let him know that the baby was coming)

Unfortunately for mom, if she was ever embarrassed of being fully exposed to dozens of strangers she was just going to have to suck it up.

Hospital picture
(Obviously I was embarrassed by my big floppy ears from birth)

I was born in that hallway, with an audience, delivered by nurses at 2:59pm.
(one minute before Grandma's soap opera was over... So much for labor can wait!)
Those who were important in Mom's life (Grandma and Dad) missed the birth, but that's okay right?  Because dozens of people got to bear witness to the welcoming of a new life to the world.
Ha Ha Ha!
Dad didn't believe it when he got the call that I had made my appearance.  Hadn't it only been minutes since he got the call to head over to the hospital because Mom was in labor???

I've been told I am a slight over achiever,
Clearly the day I was born was no exception to my over achieving tendencies.
Aw, I love you too...

See what I'm saying about those ears?
Gnarly right?


No comments: