Monday, March 5, 2012

A life lesson... At 6.5yrs old.

Today has been a BUSY day. Bill has yet again acquired a new (not new, but new to us) vehicle. They say women are indecisive, BUT in the Tomlin household Bill is DEFINITELY the indecisive one. Hands down, no question. If you know him, you know this is fact. Anyway, more on that "new" beast later. As a result of this new beast, (we'll call it Beast 2 cause the big blue beast (jeep) was number one) I have been going going going ALL morning long. Making insurance changes, price checking for a new windshield. On top of the attention Beast 2 is requiring, I had to do dishes, feed kids, do laundry, and get the kids showered and ready for the day before shipping Sam off to school. To put all this bluntly, I didn't have time this morning to even think. As 11:00 approached, rather quickly I might add I kicked it into "Rush" gear. We all (the kids and me) needed showers today, so one by one I tackled the showers. First Sam, then Brenna. Now Brenna she has recently decided to become even more so girly than she already is... her showers now last a minimum of 20 minutes. She moves slower than a snail on it's slowest of days. By the time both kids were showered, clothed, and lunch on the table there was not time for me to shower. I brush out my messy mop of hair and begin to dress. Brenna comes in and says, "Mom, I thought you needed a shower..." I respond, "I did, no I do, but there just isn't enough time. I will get a shower in today... Sometime." Without hesitation she exclaims with such shock behind her voice, "So your just going to go out like that... and stink?!?!" "Yes Brenna, that is exactly what I am going to do." At this point she is beyond disgusted that number one I would go out in public like this, and number two that SHE has to be seen with me... AT 6 THIS IS WHAT SHE WORRIES ABOUT?!?! Oh man am I in trouble.

So I decide to take this opportunity to provide her with a life lesson, in hopes that she will look at me in a different light on these days when a shower just isn't an option when it would be most convenient. I said to her, "Brenna, I hope that one day you will understand that a mom ALWAYS comes second... ALWAYS! As your mom, I come second." She is looking at me now, curious to what this means. "I will always make sure that you and Sam are taken care of before myself. Even if this means not taking a shower because you both need one. Even if this means sewing the straps on my ripped bras because you guys need shoes (I did this, when we were at our financial worst). Even if there are only two slices of bread to our name, you and Sam will eat them before your dad or I would ever consider touching them regardless of how hungry we are. One day I hope that you have the opportunity to come second, as a mother because there is no other love that will compare to how much I love you and your brother. Coming second is a small price to pay for the rewards and pride that comes with being your mom. I am sorry if right now this means that you are embarrassed, but I hope that one day you will appreciate that I went out in public... Like this... so that you don't have to."

I can see the understanding in her eyes now. I think she really understands what I am saying and how much I really love her. I think I may have accomplished providing her with a good life lesson. Will she remember it for her lifetime?

Moments later, that sweet, innocent face full of understanding begins to fade and she says, "Okay mom, but you still stink."

Oh boy, that lesson lasted a long time.

No comments: